Sitting is so incredibly prevalent in society today, we don’t even question how long we are doing it because everyone else is doing – we just assume this is normal behaviour. This is common behaviour but it should not be seen as normal behaviour. Even if you exercise intensely for an hour a day this is still not enough to counteract the damage caused by prolonged sitting.
Did you know that the average Australian sits more than 9.3 hours per day, every day?!
So how does sitting impact your health?
- Back and neck pain. Sitting places increased pressure on your lumbar vertebrae and discs increasing the likelihood of injury. Staring at a screen also increases forward head posture causing neck strain and headaches.
- Loss of brain power. Have you ever finished a 10 hour stint at the desk and felt invigorated? Of course not! Even though you have been “resting” all day you feel worn out, foggy in the head, etc. The reason being you have drained your brain of energy. For our brain to be charged it requires movement of the limbs and the body. That’s why when you come home from a morning walk you feel energized and ready to start your day, you have charged your battery (brain).
- Organ damage. This is the bad stuff we should really be worried about. As soon as we sit, the electrical activity in our muscles shuts off, calorie burning drops to 1 per minute, enzymes that help to break down fat drops by 90%. After 2 hours of sitting, good cholesterol drops by 20%, after 24 hours, insulin effectiveness drops by 24% and the risk of diabetes rises.
- Muscle Degeneration. Forget about those rock hard abs, when you sit those muscles go unused. One of the other muscles hardest hit are the glutes. So if you want a flabby stomach and a big butt keep on sitting.
- Weight gain. Now this is obvious. Anyone who sits for more than 9 hours a day is not silly enough to think it is great for the waistline. In fact obese people sit for more than 2 and ½ hours a day more than thin people. Between 1990 and 2010 while exercise rates stayed the same, obesity doubled because time spent sitting increased by 8%.
Think you have a condition that has developed as a result of sitting too much? Stand up and take back control of your health by giving our clinic a call on 03 9596 9930 – we’re here to help get you back on your feet!
CHIROPRACTOR BRIGHTON – BRIGHTON WELLNESS GROUP