The Thyroid gland’s name originated from the word ‘thyreos’, meaning ‘shield’. This name was inherited from Ancient Greece as it resembled a shield commonly used for protection on the battlefield.
Our thyroid gland plays a key role in our homeostasis; our body’s functional balance relies on the thyroid gland as it:
- Regulates oxygen use & basal metabolic rate of oxygen consumption after overnight fast
- Regulates cellular metabolism
- Maintains normal body temperature
- Stimulates protein metabolism
- Increase fat breakdown (lipolysis)
- Enhances cholesterol elimination
- Increase the use of glucose for energy production
- Regulates growth & development, especially nervous tissue
Many things affect our thyroid function, these include:
- Electric and magnetic fields (EMFs), which are invisible areas of energy, often referred to as radiation, these are associated with the use of electrical power and various forms of natural and man-made lighting.
- Lifestyle environment in which you live
- …and so much more!
As Naturopaths we have so many tools to address thyroid dysfunction, including herbal, nutritional and lifestyle support. For me personally there is no one model that fits all. I prefer to assess each case individually to create a feasible plan that identifies your concerns and gets to the root cause of your thyroid dysfunction.
If you would like to find out more about how your environment may be affecting your thyroid, book in an appointment and we can develop a plan to suit your needs!
Category: Naturopathy & Nutrition