Heading away for the Easter long weekend? Here are our top ten travel tips that will help you care for your spine while you’re away.
- If you’re driving to your destination, make sure you take regular stretch breaks at least every one to two hours.
- Drivers, put your seat upright, position your tailbone right back into the seat, and ensure your shoulders and head are supported as much as possible by the seat or headrest. If you adjust your mirrors whilst sitting upright with your head back, you will always notice when you begin to slouch!
- Whether you are the driver or a passenger, use a back support – this could be as simple as a small, rolled towel or jumper. Alternate positioning it between your low back and between your shoulder blades.
- If you’re flying, book the aisle seat rather than the sitting next to the window. This will make it easier for you to get up regularly to walk and stretch during the flight.
- Be careful when lifting and carrying your luggage. Always bend with your knees and not your back. Collecting your suitcase off the carousel can be a particularly risky exercise as it’s often a quick ‘grab and turn’ as you race off to begin your holiday!
- Strange beds can lead to a bad night’s sleep, not just because of the unfamiliar surroundings! Try to sleep on your back or side and avoid sleeping on your stomach. If the bed is ‘saggy’, you might find putting the mattress on the floor will give you better support and a better quality sleep.
- Take your own good quality pillow with you. Don’t risk waking up with a sore neck due to sleeping on an unsupportive hotel pillow. (Yes, we always pack our ‘Complete Sleeprrr’ pillows when we travel!)
- If the weather will be unseasonably warm, or you are heading somewhere tropical, use a ceiling fan to keep you cool rather than air-conditioning. This avoid cold blasts of air on your spine.
- Stay hydrated. Take a water bottle with you and fill it up whenever you can.
- Lastly, have a wonderful time! Don’t forget to tell us all about your adventures when you come in for your next adjustment.
CHIROPRACTOR BRIGHTON – BRIGHTON WELLNESS GROUP